Protect Your Future

Contact a United States

Immigration Lawyer

USA Visa Lawyers Logo
Home » Green Card Through a Family Relative or Marriage


There are different ways of obtaining a green card (becoming a permanent resident) through relatives. You may be eligible if you are any one of the following:

  • An immediate relative of a U.S. Citizen: This category includes spouses, unmarried children (never married, divorced, or widowed) under the age of 21, and a parent of a U.S. Citizen who is at least 21 years old.
  • A member of a special category: This could include battered spouse, parent, or child of a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident, a K nonimmigrant (fiancés and their accompanying minor children of a U.S. Citizen), a person born to a foreign diplomat in the U.S., a V nonimmigrant, or a widow(er) of a U.S. Citizen.
  • An adopted child of a U.S. Citizen: Depending on the nationality of the adopted child, you may qualify through either of the two processes: Hague, or Orphan (Non-Hague).

Contact Kristy Qiu, Esq., a knowledgeable U.S. Immigration Attorney to find out the approximate wait time and availability of visas for each preference category.

    Contact Us

    Schedule a free Consultation

    Proudly Helping People Throughout the United States and the World

    Go to Top